Thursday, September 13, 2012

Homemade laundry soap

I set out to find the perfect homemade laundry soap to use for cloth diapering and what I ended up with was soap so good I use it for everything. This is a pretty strong statement as I used to be a devoted Gain user. This soap also works wonders on cleaning bathtubs and removing stains from clothes. For stains, I like to dissolve a little bit of soap in a bucket of just enough water to cover the clothing item and soak overnight.  Now, onto the recipe!

The contents of my laundry room cabinet.

 

  • 6 cups Borax
  • 6 cups Washing Soda
  • 3 cups Baking Soda
  • 1 bar Fels-Naptha, grated
Mix well and keep in an empty ice cream bucket. Use one tablespoon per load or two tablespoons for heavily soiled or large loads of clothes. It really doesn't take much of this stuff to get your clothes clean since it lacks all the fillers commercial laundry soap has. I like to leave a measuring spoon in the bucket at all times to make life that much easier.

1 comment:

  1. Hey lady! How does the laundry soap smell? Or can you add fragrance?

    ReplyDelete