Thursday, May 9, 2013

Reduce Drying Time with Wool Dryer Balls

Wool dryer balls reduce drying time by separating your clothes which break up any twisting/bundling as your clothes tumble around in the dryer. This not only saves you time but it also saves you money. They also claim to eliminate the need for dryer sheets and fabric softeners, although I've never used either of them so what do I know? 

I heard of wool dryer balls through friends and saw a few tutorials on Pinterest but I was a skeptic. I didn't see how it would make any significant difference. Recently, I was gifted some homemade dryer balls from a friend and I am absolutely blown away by the results. Before, I had to consistently add an additional 20 minutes to the end of every load of laundry that passed through my dryer. Since using the dryer balls (it's been a few months), I haven't had to add time to the dryer. Everything comes out perfectly dry each and every time. The best part is, you do NOT have to be crafty whatsoever to make these. All you need is some wool yarn (make sure it's 100% natural wool and not a blend) and about a half hour of your time. Wind the wool into a tight ball until it's about 3-4 inches in diameter, tie off the end, then place the ball in a nylon sock or pantyhose. Tie a not in the sock/hose so that the ball is tightly encased in the nylon. Insert another ball of yarn and tie another knot. Do this until you have all your wool dryer balls tied off in your sock, making some sort of funky looking ball chain. Over the next few weeks, be sure to include this knotted sock of balls in every load of laundry where you use hot water. Send the knotted sock through the dryer as well. Do this roughly 4-5 times before cutting open the sock to free your balls! Admire how fuzzy and felted they are. They will not unravel, I assure you (although, if they do, don't blame me!). Keep them in your dryer as that is their new home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment